Meet Someone Now

Friday, July 31, 2009

Gay Youth

For some reason there are some people that realize they are gay late in life. I myself do not understand how this happens, nor will I try to explain it.
I knew that I was gay at a very young age, even as far back as the third grade. When I look back at my childhood, certain things are blocked and some are as vivid as the sun outside my window.
The encounters and experiences I remember most are the ones that haunt my adult life to this day.
I would like to pass on this bit of advice for parents who may have children that appear to be "Different" or "Not Normal":
Be careful what you and others say around your kids, I'm not talking about 4 letter words, that's just common sense.
It is very important for parents to teach their children right from wrong. However, keep in mind that your child is an "Individual" and will have his/her own opinions and ideals. You may hope that your child will share your faith and worship at your church. You may hope that your child will follow in your footsteps as an athlete, an attorney, a doctor., etc.,. You may hope that your child will marry the opposite sex like you did.
The fact is: Your child will be who they want and do what they want, hopefully following your example of honesty, kindness and basic human goodness.
Some kids, like myself, know at a very young age that he/she is gay. Imagine knowing this as a child and thinking you are going to hell and going to lose your entire family.
Put yourself in your child's shoes before you make comments that could destroy their lives. A simple comment such as "quit acting gay" can give your kid a complex. Not only a complex, but it just may lead to a suicide. Do you really want to be responsible for your own child's death?
You may think that you are just doing "God's Will", but remember, your child may not agree with your opinion about religion, so don't shove it down his/her throat. After all, I am talking about a very impressionable child that could become severely depressed based on things that you say.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this helpful post. In fact, a recent study showed that even small efforts on the part of parents to understand or support their LGBTQ child can be a major contributor to prevention of suicidal behavior or mental health problems. Thanks for the good reminder that parents, no matter how hard it is, will do well by their child if they speak carefully and find a few ways to show support.

    ReplyDelete